Happy New Year from AJKD!
We are excited to share the top ten AJKDBlog posts of 2019 below. Enjoy the list, and congratulations to all the contributors!
1. The Relevance of the Urine Sediment Exam in Diagnosing Kidney Diseases – Interview with Corey Cavanaugh
2. Metabolic Acidosis in CKD by Timothy Yau
Author’s approach to the management of chronic metabolic acidosis (MA) in chronic kidney disease using sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3). The NaHCO3 dose should be reduced if total carbon dioxide (tCO2) is > 26 mEq/L. The dose of HCO3− in mEq/day is shown in parentheses; the dose of citrate-based formulations can be approximated using these values. Adapted from Figure 5 from Raphael, AJKD © National Kidney Foundation.
3. Fistula First? Fistula Second? by Sean Kalloo
Image: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health.
6. Utility of Hypertonic Mannitol for the Prevention of Intradialytic Hypotension (IDH) by Trisha Patel and Edgar Lerma
7. Deciding Not to Dialyze: What Comes Next? by Ed Gould
8. Nephrolithiasis: A Stepping Stone to ESRD? by Seth Goldberg
9. Muscle Relaxant Use in Dialysis – Interview with Diana Mina and Julie Ishida
10. Eculizumab – Can It Be Used for MPGN and C3GN? by Anuja Java
BONUS Honorable Mentions:
Caring for Patients with Hepatitis C and CKD in the Modern Era: The 2018 KDIGO Guideline by Beatrice Concepcion
*Note: The Top Ten posts only include posts that went up in 2019 and do not include NephMadness posts.