iChoose Kidney—How to make informed decision for dialysis or transplant- a new shared decision tool for patients.
Rachael Patzer, PhD
- Shared decision making is hard based on literacy skills
- Health literacy is only 32% in ESRD patients
- iChoose Kidney is an iPad app that talk about the risk of dying on ESRD vs transplant.
- The patient will go through the tool with their provider and enter age, gender, co morbidities and brief summary takes less than a minute
- 1 year risk summary for dying and how that is reduced with kidney transplant (its shown with pictures to help the health literacy issue)
- Study was done for feasibility study—single center dialysis- transplant eligible patients and <1 year on dialysis and iChoose was used.
- Pre and post survey was done as well
- 21 patients, 100% AA, mean age 54 years,
- 43% of patients said they never had a physician discuss transplant with them
- Majority found the tool very useful and 86% understood the tool
- iChoose Kidney might be a good app to use for teaching patients about the risk.
Post written by Dr. Kenar Jhaveri, eAJKD Editor.