Welcome to #NephMadness 2022
AJKDBlog is excited to bring you the 10th edition of NephMadness! If you’re a #NephMadnessNewbie, this post is for you!
What is NephMadness?
NephMadness is a free online, CME-granting, evidenced-based, noncommercial learning initiative that leverages the tools of social media to teach about the latest and greatest breakthroughs in the field of nephrology! (From the 2017 explainer post)
The idea is based on March Madness, the annual US college basketball tournament. Instead of basketball teams, we selected the hottest nephrology topics to compete in NephMadness. More on the history of the madness in this Editorial: NephMadness 2015: Nephrology as a Cornerstone of Medicine. Also, check out @KidneyCathy‘s short video explainer:
What do I need to do?
- Read this year’s region posts here.
- Submit an individual or team bracket here.
- Discuss your picks with #NephTwitter!
Helpful illustration by Omar Taco @errantnephron:
What are the teams and regions?
There are 8 main nephrology topics (REGIONS) with 4 subtopics (TEAMS) in the tournament.
- Animal House: Kelly Hyndman @DrKeeksPhD | Tiffany Truong @CRRTiff
- Cardiorenal: Nisha Bansal @NishaKidneyDoc | Sadiya Khan @HeartDocSadiya | Caitlyn Vlasschaert @DrFlashHeart
- Hemodialysis: Daniel Weiner @DanTheKidneyMan | Bourne Auguste @bourneauguste
- Inequities: Dinushika Mohottige @DMohottige | Katie Rizzolo @katierizzolo
- Lupus: Keisha Gibson @Dr_KeishaGibson | Jason Kidd @jkidd03
- Neonatal Nephrology: David Askenazi @DDD_Askenazi | Michelle Starr @mcstarr1
- Nephropath: Shree Sharma @nephrosharma | Elena Cervantes @Elena_Cervants
- Parasites: Arvind Conjeevaram @arvindcanchi | Mythri Shankar @nephromythri
Resources for groups:
DOWNLOAD NEPHMADNESS 2022 BRACKET
DOWNLOAD POWERPOINT PRESENTATION
If you’re organizing a virtual party, here are instructions on how to fill out your bracket as a group with Zoom polls:
In Step 2 above, the A-B choices would look like this in the bracket:
Who picks the NephMadness champion?
A 21-member Blue Ribbon Panel selects the winners of each round in NephMadness. For each matchup, they are asked to pick the team that, in their opinion, will cause the most practice change in nephrology over the next 5 years. Here are the members of this year’s BRP:
- Jeffrey S. Berns @Jeff_Berns_POTD
- Kirk Cambell @kirkcampbell
- Michael Choi @Mike_J_Choi
- Deidra Crews @DrDeidraCrews
- Sarah Faubel @doc_faubel
- Scott Gilbert @sgilbert_md
- David S. Goldfarb @weddellite
- Susan Gurley
- Melanie Hoenig @melhoenig
- Richard Knight @knightra
- Holly Kramer @kramer_holly
- Eleanor Lederer @EleanorLederer
- Fiona Loud @FionaCLoud
- Roslyn Mannon @mannonmom
- Cynthia Miracle @CMiracleMD
- Vandana Niyyar @vandyniyyar
- Paul Palevsky @PaulPalevsky
- Roger Rodby @NephRodby
- Mark Rosenberg@kidneyandmeded
- Cathy Quinlan @KidneyCathy
- Mayuri Trivedi @MayuriTrivedi80
Read more about the rationale behind the BRP in this Editorial: NephMadness After 5 Years: A Recap and Game Plan for the Future
What’s the Schedule?
- March 1: Bracket entry opens
March 31(extended to April 3): Deadline for bracket submission
- April 4: First round results | Saturated 16 named
- April 6: Saturated 16 results | Effluent 8 named
- April 7: Effluent 8 results | Filtered 4 named
- April 8: Filtered Four results | Finalists named
- April 11: NephMadness 2022 Champion crowned
CME and MOC
US-based physicians can earn 1.0 CME credit and 1.0 MOC per region through NKF PERC (detailed instructions here). The CME and MOC activity will expire on June 1, 2022.
What are the Prizes?
Grand Prizes: Top Overall Score, Top Medical Student Score, Top Resident Score, Top Fellow Score, and Top Attending Score
Each Grand Prize winner will receive complimentary year-long personal subscription to ACKD and Nature Reviews Nephrology
Group Prizes: Highest Score, Most Entries, and Best Party
Each Group Prize winner will receive up to 30 NephMadness socks (more than 30 individuals can be affiliated with a group, but we will only award 30 prizes per group)
- Highest Score: Complete the question on the bracket submission site on whether you are submitting an entry on behalf of a group, adding “OFFICIAL” to the group name
- Most Entries: Complete the question on the bracket submission site on whether you are part of a group and add the group name (everyone in the group should use the same group name to avoid confusion)
- Best Party: Take a photo (or multiple) of your party and tag #NephMadnessParty
Social Prizes: Best Tweeter and Best Blogger
Each Social Prize winner will receive one NephMadness drawstring bag
That’s it – we hope you’ll enjoy the fun and learning during NephMadness 2022!
The 2022 NephMadness Executive Team:
- Joel Topf @kidney_boy
- Matt Sparks @Nephro_Sparks
- Tim Yau @Maximal_Change
- Anna Burgner @anna_burgner
- Samira Farouk @ssfarouk
- Pascale Khairallah @Khairallah_P
- Anna Vinnikova @kidneywars
Submit your picks! | NephMadness 2022 | #NephMadness | @NephMadness
Leave a Reply